You probably knew it wouldn't be long before I write about courgette, by now many of you will have harvested a few and possibly had so many you had to pass them on to willing friends!
Veggie growers will know that a courgette is quite versatile and provides many dishes if willing to explore.
Energetically it is cool in temperature and has a sweet flavour. It can be mildly stimulating to circulation and nourish the body targeting the spleen, stomach and lung. As it cooling in nature it regulates heat conditions.
Top ideas to use courgette:
1. Using your julienne peeler make long ribbons resembling spaghetti, pair with a basic tomato basil sauce
2. Courgette is wonderful in cakes and loafs of a sweet nature, it can be adapted into carrot cake recipe. Just make sure you grate and then allow the water to drain before mixing it in.
3. Salads, whether julienne or thinly sliced paired with something a bit stronger (roast red peppers) and a grain such as spelt or couscous it strikes a lovely balance.
4. Soups, paired with pea or spring veggies in a chicken or vegetable broth base
5. Pickle them! or add to chutney
6. Roast with other veggies, make a ratatouille
7. Grill on BBQ with olive oil and crushed garlic
8. Lastly, add to a risotto, dice and sauté